Pages

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Sandwiches

First Sandwich Terns of the year for me in the Divit as they begin their autumn accumulation on the Forth.

Most notable event of the morning though was a cacophony of Magpies from the quarry which merited investigation. As I approached half a dozen Magpies were screeching and jumping around what turned out to be a Raven. I could just make out the edge of a Magpie wing from what I supposed to be a corpse in the process of being eaten. When I got closer the Raven flew off into nearby cover presumably hoping to return once the disturbance had passed. The other Magpies also beat a retreat.

I expected to see a half eaten Magpie, but as I approached a juvenile Magpie hopped up onto its feet, scruffy (from youth) and probably a bit shocked but otherwise apparently none the worse for wear. As a grim side-note I did check that it still had two eyes - it did. It walked and hopped a bit before flying off to join the others. Thus I became the hero of Magpies everywhere and no doubt Magpie folk lore for the ages. Ravens, though, may not like me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment